Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 20:14:41 +0700

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 7:32 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> No, I mean delete-selection-mode changes the effects of some commands
> in ways that could be very inconvenient in some situations, and
> currently the only way for the user to deal with such conflicts is by
> turning on or off delete-selection-mode.  There should be a better way
> of temporarily enabling/disabling delete-selection-mode, similar to
> what we have for transient-mark-mode.

What changes by delete-selection-mode cannot be worked around by
(temporarily) deactivating the region?

Initial state: some text before point is selected. We want to insert
some text without replacing the selection.

C-g <type some text> C-S-g

Result: the same text + newly typed text is selected.

Initial state: some text after point is selected. We want to yank
something without replacing the selection.

C-g C-y C-S-g

Result: kill ring content inserted, same text is selected.

(I am assuming C-S-g is bound to a command that activates the mark and
does nothing else.)