Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 17:14:25 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 20:14:41 +0700
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       Joost Kremers <address@hidden>, Noam Postavsky <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>,
> Drew Adams <address@hidden>,
>       Phillip Lord <address@hidden>
>
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 7:32 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > No, I mean delete-selection-mode changes the effects of some commands
> > in ways that could be very inconvenient in some situations, and
> > currently the only way for the user to deal with such conflicts is by
> > turning on or off delete-selection-mode.  There should be a better way
> > of temporarily enabling/disabling delete-selection-mode, similar to
> > what we have for transient-mark-mode.
>
> What changes by delete-selection-mode cannot be worked around by
> (temporarily) deactivating the region?

Deactivating the region makes it disappear from view, which I think we
should avoid.  Users will not expect the region to disappear.
Moreover, this is currently impossible, because your fictional C-S-g
command doesn't exist.

> Initial state: some text before point is selected. We want to insert
> some text without replacing the selection.
>
> C-g <type some text> C-S-g
>
> Result: the same text + newly typed text is selected.

If we are going to introduce a command for temporarily disabling or
re-enabling the region, we had better do it without making it
disappear from display, IMO.

But in general, yes, that's the idea: introduce a state of the region
whereby delete-selection-mode is temporarily suspended.