Re: visual-region-mode?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: visual-region-mode?
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 01:07:24 +0700

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 12:41 AM Charles A. Roelli <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes.  See the doc of "t-m-m":
>
>             The mark is "deactivated" by changing the buffer,
> and after certain other operations that set the mark but whose
> main purpose is something else--for example, incremental search,
> M-<, and M->.

FWIW, mark is not deactivated for me by incremental search.

$ emacs -Q
M-x emacs-version
→ GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
of 2018-05-29

1. In the *scratch* buffer, move point to the start of the word “buffer”.
2. Select the word “buffer” by holding down Shift and pressing <right>
six times.
3. Press C-s for isearch-forward.
4. Search for “text”.
5. Press RET to end incremental search.

Observed: “buffer is for text” is highlighted as region.

Expected: region is deactivated.

6. Move point using an unshifted arrow key.

Observed, expected: region is deactivated.

The ability to extend a region using isearch is occasionally useful,
but it would probably be better if it only behaved that way if invoked
as C-S-s or C-S-r (as a general case of shifted navigation command).
(Text terminal users are out of luck with Shift+Ctrl+letter bindings,
though.)