Re: visual-region-mode?

From: Charles A. Roelli
Subject: Re: visual-region-mode?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 20:12:20 +0200

> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 20:24:01 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> > Without highlighting, a different indicator could be useful to show
> > whether the region is active or not, like a hint in the mode line.
>
> Yes.  I suggest this should be a single character, or at most two
> characters.  Space in the mode line is precious.  Maybe "+" could fulfil
> this role somewhere.

Do you think it could also be useful to allow activating the region
when t-m-m is off?  Here is how that could be different to the current
"temporary transient mark mode" activated with C-u C-x C-x:

- the command to activate or deactivate the region would have a binding
- the region would, by default, never be activated or deactivated by
  anybody but the user

How to highlight the region (and when to do it) would be separately
customizable.