Re: about "assignment to free variable"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: about "assignment to free variable"
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 08:56:06 -0500

> When i compile a piece of code the byte-compiler reports a warning
> telling me that i'm trying to assign to a free variable:
> But the variable in question is, atleast i think, referred to a local
> variable because it is an argument of the function.

I think your "at least I think" is in error.  But you'd have to show me
the relevant code.

"*free* variable" doesn't mean "a variable which will not exist when this
code is run" but "a variable which is not visible in the surrounding scope".

> The code works fine even if compiled.

Until it doesn't.

> If it is necessary i can post the code, even if it is large.

Pointing me to the relevant file+linenb should be sufficient.

        Stefan