Re: [RFC]: replace-region-contents

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [RFC]: replace-region-contents
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 09:09:33 -0500

> How would I actually use that version with a replace-fn returning a
> buffer and not a string?  It looks to me that I need to do the whole
> ceremony of creating a temporary buffer, setting buffers, and ensuring
> that the temporary buffer is killed even in the case of an abnormal exit
> myself.

Indeed (yet another reason why we should have anonymous buffers, which
can be GC'd without having to go through kill-buffer), but as mentioned
elsewhere I suspect that this use case will be rare, because when the
output wants to be in a buffer rather than a string you will likely be
able to do the replacement "in-place" without using a second buffer (and
hence without needing the diffing machinery of replace-buffer-contents).

        Stefan