Re: new-flex-completion-style

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: new-flex-completion-style
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 13:55:51 +0000

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 1:36 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I don't think it's odd.  I call the former "scattered match"
> > and the latter a "tighter match".
>
> Don't you find it odd that "foo" gives a better score to
> "fotttttttttttttttto" than to "foto" ?

Perhaps.  But as it stands it doesn't make sense to
compare scores across different length strings.

It does make sense to compare the score between
foo's matches of foot and foto.

> [ Given them the same score sounds acceptable, tho.  ]

Feel free to add some kind of normalization to the function
if you can come up with it.  Or come up with another function
entirely.  As I said, a function that measures the distance
in "boring editing operations" between the pattern and the target
would be a nicer measure.

--
João Távora