Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 19:26:20 +0200

On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 07:01:45PM +0200, Robert Pluim wrote:
On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 18:36:23 +0200, Ergus <address@hidden> said:

   Ergus> I just pushed a new branch with the fill-column-indicator
   Ergus> feature.  I would prefer to rebase before pushing to the
   Ergus> master branch. (In my ideal world I will rebase and then do
   Ergus> a merge with -no-ff. But this is not the workflow you have
   Ergus> here)

I took a quick look. Itʼs three commits, including the NEWS
changes. Any reason you donʼt want to squash those into a single
commit?

No, I do the squash when I rebase before merging to master and I do
all the changes and fixes recommended on top of this branch.

I just keep it like this now because recommendations will arrive and I
don't want to overwrite public history constantly if many changes are
suggested before the approval. This is like a develop branch for the
feature, so I'll put things "pretty" in the last moment. and in the mean
time I will just add commits on top of it.

   Ergus> So, how is decided when to move this to the master branch?
   Ergus> (the equivalent to accept the pull request)

   Ergus> There are changes in the NEWS already but not in the
   Ergus> manual. So, just tell me the following steps.

The NEWS changes have some minor issues (spelling, two spaces after
full stop, spurious whitespace), but the new user variables and modes
need descriptions in the user manual.

Robert

So you mean that the variables descriptions shouldn't be in NEWS?