Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 1072155: Avoid duplicate entries in process-env

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 1072155: Avoid duplicate entries in process-environment after re-dumping
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 22:24:04 +0300

> Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 12:02:55 -0700
> From: "Daniel Colascione" <address@hidden>
>
> > +  /* Reset process-environment -- this is for when they re-dump a
> > +     pdump-restored emacs, since set_initial_environment wants always
> > +     to cons it from scratch.  */
> > +  Vprocess_environment = Qnil;
>
> Don't we want to reset process-environment to its old value in
> dump_unwind_cleanup?

You are thinking about re-dumping from an interactive session?  In
that case, probably yes.  But currently we only support dumping from
batch sessions, and in that case I don't see a need to restore
process-environment, am I missing something?

> > +  garbage_collect ();
> > +
> >    CHECK_STRING (filename);
> >    filename = Fexpand_file_name (filename, Qnil);
> >    filename = ENCODE_FILE (filename);
>
> Does it make sense to move this chunk before the
> garbage-collect-until-we-run-all-finalizers loop above? That way, we'd run
> one fewer GC.

Probably.  I just wanted to do this as close to the actual dumping as
possible, but maybe it's not that important.