Re: Removing some workarounds for big integers

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Removing some workarounds for big integers
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 11:57:25 -0700

On 4/22/19 8:40 AM, Philipp Stephani wrote:
> I've checked some of the remaining uses of CONS_TO_INTEGER. It seems
> some of them we can replace right away. For some others the
> documentation requires a number; we can detect integral floats for
> them, but should deprecate the float usage.

It sounds like a good idea to move in that direction. However, wouldn't
it be simpler to modify cons_to_unsigned and cons_to_signed to issue
warnings now, for every argument that is not an integer? I don't offhand
see why some uses of these functions can be replaced right away while
others require gentler handling. Won't it be easier on users (simpler
documentation, etc.) if we treat all these functions alike during the
conversion?