Re: Image-conversion shims

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Image-conversion shims
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 09:09:15 -0400

>>> I.e., we want ("*.webp" . image-mode) in auto-mode-alist, but we can't
>>> put it there before we've called "gm convert -list format",
>> Why?  .webp is an image format, so it should be associated with
>> image-mode, whether we can display it or not (it's not like the
>> behavior would be much better if we don't and end up showing it in
>> fundamental-mode).
> For .webp I agree, but there's a bunch of formats that are really
> obscure.

I don't see it makes a difference, except when this obscure format can
only be converted by some equally obscure command.

Assuming a large fraction of Emacs users already have `convert`, gm`, or
`ffmpeg` installed, your code already "enables" those obscure formats,
even though the mere fact that those tools are installed doesn't
indicate that they're likely to use any of those formats.

> It would be nice if Emacs did the right thing if the user has
> switched the external image thing on, but some of them might otherwise
> be confusing.

If they might be confusing when `convert` is not installed, they might
also be confusing when `convert` is installed.

        Stefan