Re: Image-conversion shims

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Image-conversion shims
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 03:41:52 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> We already have a working solution with imagemagick-register-types,
> imagemagick-types-inhibit, imagemagick-enabled-types, and all related code.
> Customization should be no different when images are handled via a process
> instead of using a linked library.

It's quite different -- for one, using the external library is off by
default, but using ImageMagick is on by default (if you have an Emacs
compiled with the support).

But that's pretty much irrelevant for the discussion of
`auto-mode-alist' -- an ImageMagick-enabled Emacs won't use `image-mode'
for exotic image formats by default (you end up in `fundamental-mode' if
you visit a .webp file).  The user has to put that into
`auto-mode-alist' themselves.