Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 19:15:39 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> If you have time, could you compare the performance of 'find' and 'git
> ls-files' in the command line? Because when simply redirecting to a
> file I'm seeing a different result:
>
> $ bash -c "time git ls-files >test"
>
> real  0m0,011s
> user  0m0,005s
> sys   0m0,006s
>
> $ bash -c "time find . >test2"
>
> real  0m0,026s
> user  0m0,008s
> sys   0m0,018s
>
> That could indicate some inefficiency in processing the output in
> Emacs.

I just tried with the gcc repository with its about 100000 files.  Here
it was about equal with ~30secs for both git and find.  The git ls-files
invocation on the command line with output piped to /dev/null is done in
one tenth of a second.

Oh, when dropping the `expand-file-name' call we're doing on every file,
it's ten times faster (~3secs).

Bye,
Tassilo