Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 11:52:10 +0200

On Fri, Oct 04 2019, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> That's a different feature.
>
> Indeed.

Fine with this.

>> - If you set it to a negative number (as you'll do, to compensate for the
>> headers), what number will had
>> previous lines: negative (which is currently unsupported), or positive going
>> backwards?
>
> The latter.  Or maybe no number at all.

I'm used to a negative sign, but it's logically redundant so omitting a
minus and going with a positive counting backwards would be perfectly
fine.

>> - What do you want to do when in relative/visual modes?
>
> Nothing: these modes are incompatible with the offset mode.

Agreed.

>> - What about narrowing?
>
> We could say that using the offset implies display-line-numbers-widen.

I never thought or happen to be in this scenario so far.
Implying d-l-n-widen makes sense as a starting point.

I could play around and see.