Re: :extend face attribute at EOB without end-of-line char

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: :extend face attribute at EOB without end-of-line char
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 10:10:21 +0200

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 8:15 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> OK, but still, we'd need a rationale.

I'm not sure what rationale would satisfy you. In my mind, the idea of extending a face up to the margin of the window seems quite decoupled from whether that line has a newline at the end or not. It's purely visual. If I'm using a face that extends in all lines, for example, I find weird that it does or does not extend in the last one depending of a newline. (Again: I agree that's how it is defined now, I'm not questioning that.)

> The use case is quite obscure, IMO,

Yes. I happen to use bs-show, and hl-line-mode in bs-show, so it's not obscure for me, obviously. (Years ago I defined the format of my bs lines to fill entirely the window with spaces to avoid this ugly "ragged" effect on the last one.) But whether it will be useful in other cases will depend on how frequent is to have buffers with a non-newline last line, I suppose. No idea.

> and the implementation won't be trivial (I had my share of bugs
> from fiddling with display code past ZV, and you just had a taste of
> that with the ticks feature).

Yes. It was quite "entertaining", so to speak.