Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 15:33:35 +0300

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 11:25:17 +0100
>
> > Anyway, I think this discussion needs to have a detailed description
> > of the problem, before we can continue talking about solutions.
>
> I've done by best.

Where?  Maybe I've missed that, so please summarize it for me.  The
last I heard from you on this was that you didn't yet look seriously
at the particular problem, and that you thought it was due to byte
compilation.  Is there something more specific?

> But I agree like 90% with you when you say "a serious problem didn't
> start this thread".  It's true, but that problem is a symptom of bad
> design.  Emacs lisp has the exact tool for the job here, we should use
> it.  Perhaps you are thinking: "Why just not add the (if (string=
> (buffer-file-name) dir-locals-file) ...) wherever and go on with your
> life?"  But I am thinking exactly the same about Stefan's patch.

I would like to proceed to pretesting Emacs 27.1 and releasing it, so
I would like to avoid any changes that are not strictly needed.
Please help me in this.