Re: simplifying windmove-frame-edges

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: simplifying windmove-frame-edges
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 11:37:05 +0200

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 11:13 AM Phil Sainty <address@hidden> wrote:

> Just to save anyone else from checking framemove.el, that only
> touches `windmove-do-window-select', which is not one of the
> deprecated functions; so that's not a problem.

Thanks.

It makes sense that some package uses windmove-do-window-select, which is the workhorse of windmove.el. The functions above windmove-find-other-window are just ancillary code, and code that *does not work* currently, that being the reason Martin rewrote windmove-find-other-window in the first place.

- These are small and do trivial work:
   windmove-coord-add
   windmove-constraint-to-range
   windmove-constraint-around-range

- This one could be useful, but, as noted, it's just equivalent to (window-edges (frame-root-window arg)):
  windmove-frame-edges

- And these are very specific of windmove, and also, according to Martin's comment, "after the pixelwise change the old approach didn't work any more":
  windmove-constrain-loc-for-movement
  windmove-wrap-loc-for-movement
  windmove-reference-loc
  windmove-other-window-loc

So at the very least they should be made obsolete, though I don't really see the point of keeping that unused code in the trunk.