Re: Where should dynamic modules be installed?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Where should dynamic modules be installed?
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 10:28:59 -0400

>> I expect that the main reason Emacs doesn't have a variable like
>> module-directory now, is that packagers haven't yet encountered the
>> Emacs module system (it has been off by default, though that will change in
>> Emacs 27) and so haven't run into problems like the one you mention.
>
> Indeed.

Not only that, but also sharing filesystems between different machines
has been rather rare with current cheap large disks, so storing
architecture-specific files alongside architecture-agnostic files hasn't
been problematic in practice.  Maybe instead of looking for <foo>.so
we should be looking for <foo>.<arch>.so to make it easy to share
a directory between machines of different architectures?

If Debian doesn't want to put those architecture-specific files into
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp, then it can tweak the `load-path` to include
/usr/lib/<arch>/emacs/site-modules or something like that.

        Stefan