Re: :extend t inheritance

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: :extend t inheritance
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 17:38:35 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Are you saying that the :extend attribute isn't inherited via
> :inherit?  Or are you saying something else?  In any case, could you
> please show a recipe or an example of what you tried and how the
> results didn't match your expectations?

>From emacs -Q:

Add and remove a bunch of lines in a version-controlled file, and open a
*vc-diff* buffer with C-x v =.  Both diff-added and diff-removed faces
extend beyond EOL since by default their :extend attribute is set to t.

Then evaluate:

(set-face-extend 'diff-added 'unspecified)
(set-face-extend 'diff-removed 'unspecified)
(set-face-extend 'diff-changed t)

Intended effect: none, since diff-added and diff-removed inherit
diff-changed.

Actual effect: diff-added and diff-removed no longer extend beyond EOL.

Like Ingo, I'm not sure whether this (:extend not being inheritable) is
intentional or not; like Ingo, I would like to be able to set :extend t
on a few base faces.