Re: Dedicated window for *log-edit-files*

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Dedicated window for *log-edit-files*
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 08:48:27 -0400

João Távora [2019-10-25 12:48:19] wrote:

> When finalizing a commit with VC, (I usually do it from vc-next-action
> but maybe there are other ways), a buffer and a window popup for
> *log-edit-files*, showing the files touched by the "commit" (here
> I'm using "commit" to designate the corresponding VC action
> across VCSystems).
>
> For me personally, the window is quite annoying because it's
> in the path of my "C-x o" workflow: very frequently I want to jump
> back to the source buffer to do some last minute adjustment.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. can I get rid of the `*log-edit-files*` window & buffer?
> 1.2. what about just the window?

Remove `log-edit-show-files` from `log-edit-hook`.
[ Yes, non-nil default values for non-preloaded hooks are evil.
  I confess to doing it, but I plead insanity.  ]

> 2. does the buffer serve any other purpose besides
> informing me?

No.

> 3. supposing the answer to 2 is "No" would some overlay text in the
> *vc-log* buffer, much like the overlay trickery that is already done
> there, server the same purpose?

That could work, but I think a separate buffer&window is just as well
(makes it easier to copy&paste, hide, etc...).

Maybe we should arrange for `C-x o` not to switch to it (on GUI frames
you could still point&click to select it in those rare cases that you
want to, not sure what UI to use for the tty case: maybe just force the
user to C-x b to the *log-edit-files* buffer in another window).

        Stefan