Re: Why fido, icycles, ido, icomplete

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Why fido, icycles, ido, icomplete
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 00:59:13 +0100

Ergus <address@hidden> writes:

> I actually have very strong feelings behind ido in 2019 (I know I am a
> sort of apostate for this). But I think it is something that needs to be
> removed/deprecated/substituted for the good of newer alternatives like
> icomplete. So new users will try more maintained/ modern/ powerful/
> better integrated alternatives: like icomplete/ivy/helm.

Ido is not used by default. What good does to remove it?

> The intention is to move the users to the newer functionalities so they
> can get the best possible first impression.

New users are not exposed to ido at all. So I don't get your point.

> From the software point of view it is "complex" to keep such a big piece
> of code that nobody wants to touch anymore... specially if we already
> have alternatives for it.

People are not forced to work on Ido. They do because they want.

> I think Abo-abo actually tried to modify ido to improve it and he
> finally ended implementing ivy... was easier that way.

I tried Ivy and decided that it is clearly inferior to my ido config.
YMMV.

Can we stop prentending there is One True Way of doing things?