Re: Why fido, icycles, ido, icomplete

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Why fido, icycles, ido, icomplete
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 00:36:54 +0000

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> João Távora <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It sounds like you're an ido-mode fan, so please try out
>> fido-mode and tell me what you think is missing from it. I
>> know a lot is, and I want to improve it.
>
> Has fido-mode support for flx-ido? Can I plug it in? Any other
> completion system that I know on Emacs is unbearably dumb IMAO.

I don't know flx.  According to its github page flx is a "matching
engine", what in Emacs is a "completion style", I believe.  Right?  A
way to match a pattern to a universe/set of possible strings and to
return a (possibly propertized/annotated) subset of those strings.

If so, and if flx adheres to the completion-styles API, then it's very
easy to plug in.  If it doesn't, maybe the author can find a way to
adapt it, just like Thierry did recently in Helm.

You can also try 'flex' and tell me what you think you are missing from
flx.  I don't find flex "unbearably dumb" :-)

I like to type mispelled fragments of words I vaguely remember and it
almost always pops my intended thing to the top of the list.  But it
doesn't autocorrect like google, for example, that's much harder.  (does
flx?)

João