Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 13:08:11 +0000

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 12:58 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> >>   fabrobazor
> >>   ^   ^   ^
> >>   `---`---`----- I want these bold by default in the future
> [...]
> > I understand that what I called completions-match-emphasis will
> > highlight f, o, and o -- the characters that were in the string typed
> > by the user.  These are currently not highlighted at all.
>
> They're currently "highlighted" with the `completions-common-part` face,
> which by default so far has no visible attribute, so it "looks"
> not-highlighted.
>
> I'd like to change that so the face has a "blue3" (or if that's
> considered too loud, "blue4") foreground.

If we do that, the situation will improve, but only very very
slightly and in the wrong direction.  Those letters 'f', 'o' and 'o'
must have a more prominent face, indeed just as prominent
or "loud" as the classic 'prefix' style puts in the "first different
letter". So it has to be "loud" to have any meaning.

If Eli allows my proposal, it's better for everybody, I think.  I've
described it fully.  If he doesn't we can go with yours.

João