Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, ple

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 14:55:02 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> We could ask everybody here to create an account. Maybe even send out
> such requests personally for people who had been active in the
> past. And then, when doing the import, try to assign comments to
> existing accounts going by email.

If we would go this way (for example, with emba.gnu.org), I would expect
that all members of the emacs project on savannah will be populated
automatically on emba.

I don't know how users are managed on savannah, but GitLab integrates
with LDAP to support user authentication, for example.

> The rest would probably have to be imported as created by some utility
> user (to use an example from a popular Russian online community, we
> could call it UFO), and the authors would not get notifications for
> any new replies (unless notified by email personally as well).

I don't like this approach, honestly. We would have a feature
regression, compared with debbugs. I thought, we are working on
improvements.

And it doesn't solve the problem of reporting new bugs to Emacs by users
with no account.

Best regards, Michael.