Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 15:26:25 -0500

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 16:14:10 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Importing past bugs is another matter: here we would like it to be
> possible to have the person who originally reported an issue to be
> included in the email notifications if someone posts comments to the
> bug report.

One somewhat messy option would be to continue using debbugs for the
existing bug database, and to use Gitlab only for new bugs.
Presumably over time we would want to fix the bulk of what's
in the existing database anyway. When the number in the old database
gets small enough, one could find an ad hoc solution for the fairly
small number of bugs remaining.

I'm not completely sold on this idea myself, but it would be one way
to avoid making the transition simpler. It also has clear
disadvantages, including forcing the devs to deal with two bug
systems for quite a while.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden