Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 19:45:40 +0000

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 7:26 PM Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
> > So can you explain your new objection?
>
> Consistency.

Best consistency tends do arise when taking a good
hard look of the pros and cons of each change, instead
of citing blanket policy.

> All little tweaks to Emacs functionality which "everybody
is bound to want" end up irritating people immensely,

[ I could remember some introduced by you, but this
is besides the discussion. ]

> I can't remember any arguments you may have made

Here they are: see the second paragraph and the ensuing
discussion, where Eli suggests benchmarks:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-10/msg00537.html

I can summarize:

1. There are no adverse or surprising behaviors;
2. There is negligible performance impact;
3. There is a demonstrated benefit;

I've only done so much work testing each of these
assertions, and I'd of course be interested in hearing
(concrete) objections.

João