Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 20:11:15 +0000

Hello, Joåo.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 19:45:40 +0000, João Távora wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 7:26 PM Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > So can you explain your new objection?

> > Consistency.

> Best consistency tends do arise when taking a good
> hard look of the pros and cons of each change, instead
> of citing blanket policy.

> > All little tweaks to Emacs functionality which "everybody
> is bound to want" end up irritating people immensely,

> [ I could remember some introduced by you, but this
> is besides the discussion. ]

> > I can't remember any arguments you may have made

> Here they are: see the second paragraph and the ensuing
> discussion, where Eli suggests benchmarks:

>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-10/msg00537.html

> I can summarize:

> 1. There are no adverse or surprising behaviors;
> 2. There is negligible performance impact;
> 3. There is a demonstrated benefit;

I could have made exactly these arguments for enabling "my" new features
by default.  In fact, I might well have done so.  ;-)  But wiser heads
prevailed.  For one of these features, fast-but-imprecise-scrolling,
there was even a massive performance advantage.  It remains disabled by
default.

Point 2 may hold.  Points 1 and 3 are pure speculation by you, you not
being the most impartial judge.

For me, at least, point 1 doesn't hold.  Having the fontification
delayed until 2 seconds of inactivity would for me be intensely
irritating.  Context fontification is bad enough, but that at least is
justified by performance reasons.

As for point 3, there would be no benefit for me, at least.  I want to
see correct fontification when I type a quote mark, not 2 seconds of
inactivity later.

> I've only done so much work testing each of these
> assertions, and I'd of course be interested in hearing
> (concrete) objections.

There will be users who will not like this new minor mode.  It should
not be imposed upon them.

Anyhow, as I said, I will accept Eli's judgment on this point.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).