Re: Avoiding the three-windows merging with Git

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Avoiding the three-windows merging with Git
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 22:46:47 -0500

  > > Has anyone figured out why merge conflicts go into a mode
  > > with three windows, and some way to turn that off
  > > without breaking anything else?

  > No.  The only idea was that you somehow inadvertently started Ediff.
  > That shouldn't be necessary, and doesn't happen automatically, so it's
  > unclear how it happened, if it did.

I never use it, so unless I started it by typo, I don't think I started it.
And ISTR it happened more than once.

I don't know how to provoke a conflict intentionally.
I'd have to ask someone to install a patch that conflicts
with something I want to install.  However, doing that in
a Git repo where it will be impossible to remove later
seems like a bad idea.

Can someone help me create a conflict to test handling it?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)