Re: Avoiding the three-windows merging with Git

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Avoiding the three-windows merging with Git
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 20:45:26 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 01:45:50 -0500
>>
>> Does it operate purely locally?  No connection to any remote site?
>
> Yes, it arranges for the upstream repository to be on your local
> machine, just in another directory.

Right.  Git commands that interact with remote repositories work just as
well with local copies of a repository.  It's not something I've seen
used much, but I find it useful for messing ar^W^Weducative purposes.

That's why I put quotes around "central repository"; nothing actually
leaves the machine the script runs on.  The server-hosted-repo folder
(whose name might be confusing; I should have simply called it
"upstream-repo") is only "central" insofar as the other two repositories
are set up to synchronize with it when running vc-update and vc-push.