Re: Some ideas with Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Some ideas with Emacs
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2019 01:05:41 -0500

  > I think if we want to have an ELisp tutorial, it should be a separate
  > manual.

GNU manuals normally try to be useful for both tutorial and reference.
Each chapter, each section, should be written so that you can read
it straight through and learn its topic.

We have a separate Intro to Emacs Lisp, so the chapters of the
reference manual that describe the basic facilities of Lisp don't need
to try hard to serve also as an introduction.  (For those topics it
is difficult to do both with the same text.)

However, most parts of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual describe
editing facilities, and we do try to make them usable as introductions.
They have examples for that -- and we can add more when that is useful.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)