Re: Issue with rectangle mouse selection

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Issue with rectangle mouse selection
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 10:40:05 +0100

On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 07:24:03AM +0100, Ergus wrote:
On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 10:47:01PM +0100, Mattias Engdeg�rd wrote:
30 nov. 2019 kl. 22.28 skrev Ergus <address@hidden>:

We need more opinions about but I think that actually the most familiar
behaviour is setting mouse--rectangle-track-cursor to t for most
users... but lets wait for other opinions/complains related.

I pushed that patch (with mouse tracking the text cursor); it's probably good
enough.

By the way, the xterm quirk has now been reported to the maintainer.

On the other hand; when selecting backward the behaviour must be the
same independently of mouse--rectangle-track-cursor; as the cursor is
actually the rectangle corner in that situation right?

Then you wouldn't be able to select the leftmost column.

That's actually the problem. When mouse--rectangle-track-cursor is
nil I can't select the leftmost column when selecting backward..

Hi Mattias:

After a couple of days trying the rectangles I think that there are not
more issue to report from my side.

EXCEPT the one described in my latest message for backward
selection. This must be corrected otherwise we will receive bugs reports
very soon because with (setq mouse--rectangle-track-cursor nil) it is
not possible to select the first column (picture attached).

So far, for backward selection the variable mouse--rectangle-track-cursor
shouldn't change behaviour (and it should be what we have now when
mouse--rectangle-track-cursor is non-nil).

Personally I don't find the variable very useful cause the actual
defaults are good enough for most of the cases. And removing the
variable can simplify code a bit... but that's your choice.

Best
Ergus