Re: Should `revert-buffer' preserve text-scaling by default?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Should `revert-buffer' preserve text-scaling by default?
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 11:35:51 -0600

On 03 Dec 2019, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> In other words, how will the mere passage of time affect our
>>willingness to change the default interactive behavior?
>
>By letting people try this and tell us via bug reports and other
>communications channels that they'd like this to be the default.

*nod*  It's possible that the existence of the variable and the NEWS entry
might make people more likely to consider the question in the first place, and
thus more likely to express a preference that they otherwise wouldn't have had
occasion to think about.

On 03 Dec 2019, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>> Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2019 18:36:28 -0600
>>
>> I didn't think of the possibility of changing it in 'master' once the
>> release branch is cut.
>
>We haven't yet decided to do that immediately after cutting the
>branch.  I'd rather let people use the option for a while before that.

That's fine; I don't think it needs to be changed immediately after cutting the
release.  As long as we have a path for accumulating information about what the
default setting should be, that's enough.  It can default to the current
behavior in the meantime.

I'll work up a patch along the lines we've discussed and post it here for
review.

Best regards,
-Karl