Re: tramp compilation buffer also affected

From: andrés ramírez
Subject: Re: tramp compilation buffer also affected
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 05:54:12 +0000

Hi Juri.

Juri> Actually, tramp-cleanup-... don't update the existing
Juri> process-environment.  You need restart Emacs after customizing
Juri> tramp-remote-process-environment.

Juri> It's easier to check whether TERM has the right value in Tramp
Juri> by simply:

Juri>   M-x compile RET echo $TERM RET
-*- mode: compilation; default-directory:
"/ssh:aramirez@x220c:/home/aramirez/dev/wxwidgets/mamacha/src/tests/" -*-
Compilation started at Mon Dec  9 05:49:33

echo $TERM
ansi

Compilation finished at Mon Dec  9 05:49:34

It seems my snippet is not working then:
(progn (setq comint-terminfo-terminal "ansi") (require
'compile)(add-to-list 'compilation-environment "TERM=dumb") (require
'tramp)(add-to-list 'tramp-remote-process-environment "TERM=dumb"))

Juri> For testing compilation highlighting, I just touch xterm.c and
Juri> compile it, because compilation of xterm.o always produces
Juri> warnings:

Juri>   M-x compile RET touch xterm.c; TERM=ansi make xterm.o RET

Juri> It produces unhandled escape sequences in the compilation output
Juri> buffer:

Same case for me.

Juri> But running compile with a prefix arg processes escape sequences
Juri> and produces nice output even when Tramp process-environment is
Juri> not customized:

Juri>   C-u M-x compile RET touch xterm.c; TERM=ansi make xterm.o RET

This workaround works for me. Actually IMO It should not be necessary to
restart emacs. after customizing tramp-remote-process-environment.

Thanks for the workaround. Best Regards