Re: The overlay branch (yet again)

From: Vladimir Kazanov
Subject: Re: The overlay branch (yet again)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 08:10:32 +0000

Hello again!

I did another dive into the feature/noverlay branch this weekend. It
turns out that apart from the Lisp-level overlay unit tests Andreas
also developed a very nice benchmarking suite, making it easy to
compare implementations. In fact, all the benchmarking results he
reported in the mailing list are included already.

Benchmarking code contains numerous synthetic performance tests, a
replication of performance issues reported with Flycheck and line
numbering using overlays. I wanted to come up with my own benchmarks
but the job was already done. The code is included in the
test/manual/noverlay directory and a convenient Makefile is provided.
Running the complete suite against master took about 20 minutes on my
machine, mostly due to those overlay linked lists being slow.

I've cleaned the code a bit by removing external dependencies and only
including a subset of what was provided in Makefile. I did not so any
formatting improvements to make sure it's not tainted with my code.

Stefan, could you also include the patch in master? My feeling is that
it might be very useful to anybody working on overlay code.

--
Regards,

Vladimir Kazanov