Re: master a6b5985: Avoid duplicated character classes in rx

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master a6b5985: Avoid duplicated character classes in rx
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 23:13:06 -0500

> There are hundreds of thousands, probably millions, of lines of Elisp in
> third-party packages and user configurations in the world.  Removing the
> return value of `push' would be a breaking change affecting innumerable
> users.

That's called a straw man argument: no one suggested "removing the
return value".

>> So it'd be nice if it were documented, but it is not, and the few
>> places that use it can easily be fixed. No big deal, not worth
>> discussing it IMO.
> By the same logic, it'd be nice if it were documented, and with a few
> words added to a few files, it can easily be documented.  No big deal,
> not worth discussing it IMO.

Exactly.  It's a question opinion.  I.e. a bikeshedding subject (which
indeed is more or less synonymous with "not worth discussing" ;-)

When I was maintainer I decided not to document the return value.
Eli is free to make another choice, of course.

But please, let's remember that it's just an opinion.
There's no right or wrong choice.

        Stefan