Re: Default emacs init file location confusion

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Default emacs init file location confusion
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 16:26:52 +0100

    Lawrence> Hi all,
    Lawrence> I also met this issue on a machine running gnome3 Ubuntu 18.04.

    Lawrence> Took sometime for me to figured it out from mail list and news
file.

    Lawrence> Haven’t look into the code to figure where it happens.

With a breakpoint on 'mkdir':

Lisp Backtrace:
"make-directory-internal" (0xffffb498)
"files--ensure-directory" (0xffffb7c0)
"make-directory" (0xffffbb50)
"locate-user-emacs-file" (0xffffbed0)
0xf4ce7b70 PVEC_COMPILED
"funcall" (0xffffc1a0)
"eval" (0xffffc2f8)
"custom-reevaluate-setting" (0xffffc5f8)
"mapc" (0xffffc710)
"command-line" (0xffffd0c8)
"normal-top-level" (0xffffd560)

'locate-user-emacs-file' says:

       ;; Make sure `user-emacs-directory' exists,
       ;; unless we're in batch mode or dumping Emacs.
       (or noninteractive
           dump-mode
           (let (errtype)
             (if (file-directory-p user-emacs-directory)
                 (or (file-accessible-directory-p user-emacs-directory)
                     (setq errtype "access"))
               (with-file-modes ?\700
                 (condition-case nil
                     (make-directory user-emacs-directory t)