Re: emacs-27 b46c75b: xref-matches-in-files: Big Tramp speed-up

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: emacs-27 b46c75b: xref-matches-in-files: Big Tramp speed-up
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 17:40:36 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Hmm... I guess this deserves a bug number and we should try and figure
> out why it's so much slower to go through the file-handler machinery
> (and whether we can do something about it other than provide ad-hoc
> coarse-grained operations).

The file name handler machinery is designed for single files. If you
have some ten thousands files, which have all the same remote
identification, and for which the same operation will be applied, this
doesn't scale well. tramp-file-name-handler will be invoked for every
single file for the same operation, and whatever it does, it is lost
time. We would need the machinery only once.

That's why I have proposed to find a way to apply an operation to a
fileset instead of a single file only.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.