Re: emacs-27 b46c75b: xref-matches-in-files: Big Tramp speed-up

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs-27 b46c75b: xref-matches-in-files: Big Tramp speed-up
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 15:51:51 -0500

> I said it already several times: it is tramp-file-name-handler, invoked
> for every single file, which makes the major difference.

Yes, I saw that, but it's still not clear to me which part of this costs
so much more than tramp-file-local-name itself, nor why.

>> Yes, the idea makes sense.  Basically add a magic-file-op
>> (file-list-apply FUNCTION DIR FILES &rest ARGS) where FILES are relative
>> to DIR?
>
> Something like this, yes. However, in the case Dmitry is interested in,
> FILES would be remote file names instead of relative file names.

The "remote" pat would presumably be in the DIR argument (DIR would
presumably be the root of the project or something like that).

> He wanted to know the local file name part of the FILES.

Actually, maybe xref could apply `file-local-name` to the root of
the project?

        Stefan