Re: Font problem on git master

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Font problem on git master
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 12:00:49 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:45:42 +0100, İsmail Dönmez <address@hidden> said:

    İsmail> Hi!
    İsmail> On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 11:39 AM Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
wrote:

    >> >>>>> On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:20:01 +0100, İsmail Dönmez <address@hidden>
said:

    İsmail> Hi,
    İsmail> Since the switch to cairo, I cannot set any font at all. Here is
what
    İsmail> happens, running

    İsmail> This gives me a nice mono font which I suspect is the one set by
Gnome
    İsmail> (Consolas at pixel size 12)

    >> You can check by doing 'C-u C-x =', which will pop up a buffer showing
    >> what font is being used.

    İsmail> It's indeed Consolas, albeit not using the fontconfig syntax:

    İsmail> "-MS  -Consolas-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1"

You've cut off the bit I was interested in, which is the font backend
at the start.

    >> Hmm, do you have only the bitmapped version of Consolas?

    İsmail> Consolas is a TTF only font.

And you somehow end up with a non-scaled version? Curious.

    İsmail> Also, I used to have the following in my config file:

    İsmail> (setq default-frame-alist
    İsmail> '((font . "Consolas-13:antialias=natural")
    İsmail> (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)))

    İsmail> which results in "*ERROR*: Font ‘Consolas-13:antialias=natural’ is
not defined"

    İsmail> This is all on openSUSE Tumbleweed (using Andreas Schwab's awesome
    İsmail> build from
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:AndreasSchwab:emacs:master/emacs)
    İsmail> with cairo 1.16.0

    >> My WAG is that you donʼt have (m)any scalable fonts installed, just
    >> bitmapped ones.

    İsmail> That can't be because I have 500+ TTF fonts installed on my system.
    İsmail> Also, mind you emacs 26 is working just fine.

I did say it was a WAG :-)  Does not specifying a size and/or removing
the 'antialias' spec help?

Robert