Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 01:26:14 +0300

On 21.01.2020 19:12, martin rudalics wrote:
> Yes, that works both with Lucid and Motif. BTW, dragging bottom and right borders is fast and smooth, but dragging top-left is very choppy.

Because the frame has to resize _and_ move.  GTK has an internal
function that moves and resizes a window in one go but I haven't seen an
external interface to it.

But I can drag it smoothly (by the mode-line), and I can resize it smoothly. It kind of weird that drag+resize is more than 2x as slow.

Anyway, that's not the current issue.

 > Unfortunately, I'm getting reports that the Lucid build is much slower
 > than GTK at least for some others:

I can't comment on that.  I only have non-optimized Lucid builds here
and they are much too slow to do anything with child frames at all.

Does building with '-Og' help? It's really fast here, faster than GTK by an order of magnitude (or two).

Next thing to try: Before the

   gtk_window_get_size (GTK_WINDOW (FRAME_GTK_OUTER_WIDGET (f)),
                &gwidth, &gheight);

lines in xg_frame_set_char_size insert the two lines

   if (!gtk_window_get_resizable (GTK_WINDOW (FRAME_GTK_OUTER_WIDGET (f))))
    gtk_window_set_resizable (GTK_WINDOW (FRAME_GTK_OUTER_WIDGET (f)), TRUE);

put a breakpoint on the second one and tell me whether you get a hit.
Just to make sure ...

Still no luck (hits line 960, but not 961).