Re: Extend gdb to filter registers

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Extend gdb to filter registers
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 09:43:45 +0100

> That said I think that the current windowing model
> has a surprising semantic for dedicated, namely that
> a dedicated window is allowed to be split.   Were
> there a way to make a window unsplittable (apart
> from creating it on an unsplittable frame) then
> gdb-setup-windows could use it.  I believe that
> net effect would be all source displayed within the
> source area (though possibly in multiple windows).

I once thought so as well but Stefan convinced me of the contrary, see
this comment in window.el.

                       ;; Actually, even if the window is really dedicated,
                       ;; the frame is still usable by splitting it.
                       ;; At least Emacs-22 allowed it, and it is desirable
                       ;; when displaying same-frame windows.

Think of 'split-window' as of creating a new window somewhere near the
one of its argument.  And note that you can always split a frame's root
window instead or make your dedicated window fixed size.

martin