Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 14:52:18 +0300

On 31.01.2020 12:29, martin rudalics wrote:
 > So, Lucid build, under Mutter:
 >
> - Resizing works, more or less. Moving a frame by its mode-line works as well without stutters. > - The right-bottom corner still jumps away. When I drag the frame by the mode-line, it (the corner) also jumps at first, the same distance.
 > - Same with moving or resizing a child frame.

I reworked the code as attached.  This includes scaling support and the
jump away issue.

Yes, jumping away seems to be gone. Resizing and moving by the mode-line is still smooth.

> GTK resizing will probably still fail, the rest should
> work now.

Considering scaling was only a problem for GTK, that doesn't sound like success. Anyway, resizing normal undecorated frames in GTK seems to work just as well now. Resizing child frame (with scaling on) is still broken (but looks a bit different, no jumping around, at least).

With GTK build frame resizing also doesn't honor non-pixelwise resizing. When frame-resize-pixelwise is nil, resizing routinely eats into internal borders (right and bottom ones).

 > - tumashu's child frame moving test scenario is still slow.
 >
 > E.g.
 >
 >    (benchmark 1 `(set-frame-position ,test-frame 50 50))
 >    => 0.5s

Nothing changed in this regard.  But here

(benchmark 1 `(x-set-frame-size-and-position ,test-frame nil nil 50 50))

=> 0.100523s

Seems like a possible improvement, but still much slower than set-frame-position with the GTK build.