Re: Really noninteractive

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Really noninteractive
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 23:32:59 +0800

> Is there a way to do this that I've missed?

The Elisp manual says:

 -- Variable: noninteractive
     This variable is non-‘nil’ when Emacs is running in batch mode.

So, in your case, emacs does not really hang, but awaits input from
terminal. You can test it by running emacs in batch mode (as suggested
by Andreas):

emacs -Q --batch --eval "(let ((noninteractive t)) (read-string \"foo: \"))"

Probably, docstring needs to be clarified to conform with the manual.

Best,
Ihor

--
Ihor Radchenko,