Re: Really noninteractive

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Really noninteractive
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 14:03:15 +0100

Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> writes:

> `read-string' doesn't use `standard-input'. I think only `read' does.

Indeed.

By the way, the doc string for read is oddly phrased:

STREAM or the value of ‘standard-input’ may be:
 a buffer (read from point and advance it)
 a marker (read from where it points and advance it)
 a function (call it with no arguments for each character,
     call it with a char as argument to push a char back)
 a string (takes text from string, starting at the beginning)
 t (read text line using minibuffer and use it, or read from
    standard input in batch mode).

All of these are odd, but the "call it with no arguments" etc is
particularly befuddling.  I think what happens is that the function is
called with no arguments, and should return a character (and so on)?