Re: emacs-27 60c84ad: ; * etc/TODO: Fix last change.

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: emacs-27 60c84ad: ; * etc/TODO: Fix last change.
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 08:23:33 +0100

    >> What should be done here? Create another char table analagous to
    >> char-script-table, add all the emojis from emoji-data.txt to it, and
    >> check whether the char is in that table in fontset.c:face_for_char?

    Eli> I think it would be simpler and cleaner to define a new script,
    Eli> 'emoji', and update admin/unidata/blocks.awk to produce it for the
    Eli> relevant blocks (including Variation Selectors, btw).  Then no change
    Eli> is needed in face_for_char, since that is only in effect for the
    Eli> 'symbol' script.  As a nice bonus, this will also allow a much easier
    Eli> customization of the fontsets, so that fonts for symbols can be
    Eli> different from fonts for emoji.

Hmm, but a character can only have one script, no? That would put
Emacs at odds with Blocks.txt, I guess thatʼs why Unicode implemented
this using character properties. Having said that, we already donʼt
exactly follow Blocks.txt anyway.

    Eli> There's an issue with the codepoints in the U+2XXX and U+3XXX blocks:
    Eli> some of them can have Emoji glyph variations, but putting them into
    Eli> the 'emoji' script is probably not a good idea, as long as Emacs
    Eli> selects a font based on a single character.  I guess we will have to
    Eli> leave them in 'symbol' for now.

OK. We can revisit 2XXX and 3XXX later.

Ancillary question: what fonts should we use in the default fontsets
for emoji? So far I have:

X => Noto Color Emoji (+EmojiOne?)
NS => Apple Color Emoji
Windows => ?