RE: Feedback on fido-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Feedback on fido-mode
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 08:59:40 -0700 (PDT)

> I think, we should unbind SPC from
> minibuffer-complete-word everywhere.

(I'm not really following this thread.  Just
happened to notice this suggestion.)

I proposed this at least as far back as 2005.

And like `SPC', `?' should be self-inserting
by default.  Icicles has been doing this for
15 years.  Icicles uses `M-SPC' (by default)
for word completion and `M-?' to show help.

Binding `SPC' and `?' to commands (other than
for self-insertion) is a holdover from a time
when completing minibuffer input was used
(by vanilla Emacs) pretty much only for `M-x'
and reading file names.

In 2005 we (finally!) got `SPC' to self-insert
for file names - but only for file names.

Isn't it time to let `SPC' and `?' self-insert?