Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 10:38:41 +0100

> One unfortunate aspect of making it a custom var is it only works if
> set before the child frame was created. And posframe caches created
> frames, either because child frame creation is expensive, or was such
> previously.
>
> So if the user sees the problem, searches for a solution, then applies
> it in the current session, they won't see the change. We'll have to
> say "and restart Emacs" in the doc, and hope they won't miss that.

The hiding approach should work out of the box unless I'm missing
something.  The resize-mode approach OTOH is sufficiently dangerous for
non-GNOME-shell users in order to warrant a restart after having read
the doc carefully.

> I've never seen a "half a second" later problem myself, and the person
> who complained says he doesn't see that anymore [for some reason]. So
> maybe we can leave that alone for now.

You certainly have at the time you complained about the persisting
slowness of dragging Lucid child frames.

martin