Re: Regexp bytecode disassembler

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Regexp bytecode disassembler
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 18:55:53 +0200

> From: Štěpán Němec <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 15:43:03 +0100
>
> IMHO the complexity of `pcase' is completely transparent in this case:

I disagree.  And please also consider the easiness (or lack thereof)
of changing the code, not just reading it.  pcase is far from being
simple, its syntax is tricky to understand fully.  it's no accident
that it took us 2-3 iterations and many discussions to converge on
what is now its documentation.  Just the volume of that documentation
should tell you how NOT transparent is its complexity.

> you can easily check the expansion e.g. with M-x
> pp-macroexpand-last-sexp

So you are saying that reading code should be accompanied by expanding
the macros it uses?  (Assuming the reader even knows about
pp-macroexpand-last-sexp.)  Seriously, I don't think this is something
I'd call "code that explains itself".  In any language.