Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 19:01:50 +0200 (CEST)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I've just fixed that on master;

Now my build on Windows via MSYS2 creates an hardlink instead then s symlink.
Notice that MSYS2 by default does not enable symlink so the using 'ln -s ...'
really copies the file. So I enabled Windows native symlink with

rem To activate windows native symlinks uncomment next line
set MSYS=winsymlinks:nativestrict

in /msys2_shell.cmd

(maybe W10 needs also the developpers mode). In this way my builds had

  1 mar 13.55 emacs-27.0.90.exe
  1 mar 14.01 emacs.exe -> emacs-27.0.90.exe

What do I have to do to get back to the way I used to be? I don't want to
delete the hardlink and add the symlink manually.

BTW, why Emacs, on Windows, has 3 executable?

  runemacs.exe
  emacs-27.0.90.exe
  emacs.exe (hardlink, now)

Yes, runemacs.exe to remove the DOS window (if I remember): why this cannot be
done with a single EXE? On Windows there ar a lot of apps (IDE, Editore,
Browser etc) which have only one EXE to be started with (no DOS window etc).
WHY not Emacs? This could be another simplification in the spirit of this
discussion...

Ciao,
  Angelo.