Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 21:49:41 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Phillip Lord <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 19:18:49 +0100
>>
>> Anyway, I just tried a build without it on an Emacs-28 snapshot. Emacs
>> fails to launch with an "libgmp-10.dll is missing" error.
>
> That's expected: we now support bignums, and that requires GMP.  It
> simply means libgmp-10.dll should be part of the basic (no-deps)
> package.

If I copy libgmp-10.dll alongside emacs.exe, as with libXpm-noX4, then
indeed it works. So may be we don't need "-static" any more. It's a long
time since it was tested as you can see. The source for libgmp is in the
source dump.

Another option would be to deprecate -no-deps or remove it
wholesale, Or, alternatively, to not guarantee that it runs (so, I'd
remove libXpm-noX4 also).

Thoughts? Presume this would be on master cause it's a bit late for
Emacs-27.

Phil